If you’ve looked at moving your business online, or perhaps are looking to switch up your website, a .com domain must have popped into your head at some point. For many business owners, having yoursite.com is a need. Not only does this show the dominance of your company, it can also aid greatly in terms of reputation and overall appearance. In this article, Lion Sourced answer the question: Does your business need a .com domain?
What Does A .Com Domain Mean?
The .com domain was coined from the word ‘Commercial’ and was originally meant for websites that made money in some form. This can include selling products, generating leads, promoting a business or utilizing paid ads.
When A .Com Domain Is (Almost) Essential
Having a prominent domain for your business does more than simply improve its’ appearance. Below are a few situations in which a .com is almost essential in terms of growth:
- Selling Worldwide – If you plan to offer international shipping to customers, a .com is favored. This shows passing visitors that you don’t serve just one country.
- Multinational Companies – Similar to the point above, this will let potential clients know that you operate in multiple countries.
- Ranking Reliant – Think a large portion of your income will come through search? Plan to expand by using SEO strategies? A .com domain can help with these campaigns.
- You Need Trust – Businesses operating in sensitive sectors need trust from website viewers, which a premium domain can help with.
If your business matches any of the parameters listed above, opting for a .com makes perfect sense and should be strongly considered.
To be completely honest, there aren’t many downsides of having a high-profile domain. The only two we think are valid are the cost and availability. To start, a .com domain name can be expensive if you have a relatively common business name, such as ‘Fast Plumbers’. These domains are costly due to the SEO potential, as this domain may help you to rank for terms such as ‘Fast Plumbers’. As yours will be the official .com website, the benefits will be huge.
Commonly named businesses may find it hard to get a .com for their company. The demand for these domains are incredibly high, while the supply is limited to one. If you haven’t decided on a title yet, picking a business name that is unique will aid you greatly.
What To Do When Your First Choice Is Unavailable
If your first choice .com is unavailable, it’s time to find a workaround. There are only 3 real options to explore if this is the case for your company:
1. Adjust Your Suffix – Let’s use the example ‘Fast Plumbing’ mentioned earlier. If FastPlumbing.com is taken, try searching for domains such as FastPlumbingNow.com, FastPlumbingCompany.com, FastPlumbingCrew.com and anything else you can think of. It may not be perfect, but we feel like it’s better than a name like FastPlumbing.biz.
2. Purchase The Domain – Annoyingly, there are some people (and businesses) who buy popular domains just to resell them at a profit. When viewing the desired domain page, you can see if it’s currently for sale. While you might be paying more than the standard price, the investment could prove worthwhile in the long run.
3. Switch To An Alternative – This should be the worst case scenario, only used when the two methods above have been exhausted. If you’re based in the UK, look for a .co.uk domain, or even take a look at .co, .org and .blog alternatives.
Does Your Business Need A .Com Domain?
Be sure to respect your budget when selecting the appropriate domain name. If you can afford a unique .com, Lion Sourced would recommend snapping it up! Keep in mind that a domain isn’t everything. Your business can still thrive online without a premium extension.